Robin & Arlene Karpan are travel writers, photographers and book publishers based in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. We got hooked on travel back in our student days and basically never stopped wandering around the globe, eventually turning our interests into a full time business. For many years we have worked as freelance travel writers and photographers, contributing to well over 100 publications around the world, working on contract projects for business and government in the travel and tourism field, and selling stock photography.
In 1998, we founded Parkland Publishing and branched our business into book writing and publishing. Our books have two main specialties – travel guides and photography books on our home province of Saskatchewan, and books on travel and photography in many of the world’s most spectacular natural areas. We recently expanded our book line-up to include ebooks, which are now available through ebook retailers around the world. We are fortunate that our books have been well received, some becoming bestsellers and winning awards.
While our work encompasses various aspects of travel, our specialty is the natural world, including nature and wildlife photography, visiting wilderness areas, hiking, canoeing, and travelling off the beaten track. Unfortunately, it is natural areas almost everywhere that seem to be disappearing the fastest. If the world’s special places and special creatures are to survive, it will be because people know about them and care about them. We hope that our work can play a role in raising awareness and fostering an appreciation of our many extraordinary places.
Awards, Accomplishments, and Recognition
We are fortunate that much of our work has been well accepted by the public, and this has led to various types of recognition such as awards, nominations, and other accomplishments. Some examples include:
- Our article Sleeping with Rhinos on Photojourneys won First Place for the Best Outdoor/Adventure Feature at the Travel Media Association of Canada (TMAC) Awards in June, 2018..
- Highly Commended Award in the Habitat and Landscapes category of WildlifePhoto.com international nature photography competition.
- Photo Journeys named among the 100 Best Travel Photography Blogs on the Planet by FeedSpot. July, 2017
- First Place in the Best Action Photo of the Year at the Travel Media Association of Canada (TMAC) Awards in June, 2017
- First Place in the Best Action Photo of the Year at the Travel Media Association of Canada (TMAC) Awards in June, 2016, as well as Outstanding Achievement Award in the same category. See our post on the awards.
- Nine Saskatchewan Tourism Awards of Excellence
- Six of our books have become Canadian Bestsellers
- The Great Saskatchewan Bucket List was the Number 1 bestselling Saskatchewan-published book in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 according to the Saskatchewan Publishers Group (SaskBooks), the Number 1 bestselling book for 2012 in the Local Interest category in the Indigo/Chapters/Coles chain for all stores combined in the Saskatchewan/Manitoba region, and the Number 1 bestselling book store-wide in 2012 (Number 2 in 2013) at the large McNally Robinson Booksellers in Saskatoon, SK.
- Winner in the Landscapes/Seascapes category in the Northern American Travel Journalists Association Awards
- Two photographs selected for the final round of judging in the Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition during 2014 and 2015.
- Robin and Arlene were both presented with the Saskatchewan Centennial Medal by the province’s Lieutenant-Governor in recognition of their work.