We’re Robin and Arlene Karpan – travel writers, photographers, bloggers, book authors, and publishers, with several years of experience in the business. Each year we connect with millions of readers and viewers through a combination of print and online media. Our travel stories and/or photos have been published in well over 100 publications around the world, plus our material has been used by a wide variety of tourism organizations and businesses.
While we cover a wide array of travel experiences, our main specialties are nature, wildlife, ecotourism, outdoor adventure, and photography. Attention to quality in our photography is our main strength and key to our success. Our work is intended to inspire travel to the destinations we cover, and to provide readers with concrete information they can use. Readers trust our advice because of our extensive experience and honest approach.
Awards, Accomplishments, and Recognition
We are fortunate that our work has been well accepted by the public, and has received awards and other recognition. Some examples include:
SATW Canadian Chapter Awards (Society of American Travel Writers) – First place for Best People Photo of Hole in the Rock, Phoenix, AZ.
Honourable Mention in the Paisajes Naturales (Natural Landscapes) category in the FotoNoja 2021 intermational nature photography competition in Spain. The photo Eye of the Forest is of a wetland in Narrow Hills Provincial Park, Saskatchewan.⠀⠀
Travel Media Association of Canada Awards, 2021
– Second Place, Best Spirit of Canada Award for Waterton Resumes its Place as a Prime Destination on Roadstories.ca
– Second place, Best Illustrated Feature, Take A Springtime Wildlife Photo Safari in Prairies North Magazine
– Honourable Mention in Best Nature Photo
Travel Media Association of Canada Awards, 2020
– First Place, Best Landscape or Evocation of Place: photo of full moon over Hoi An, Vietnam on Photojourneys
– Second Place, People’s Choice Award: photo of Monarch Butterflies in Mexico, on Photojourneys
– Honourable Mention, People’s Choice Award: photo of Bald Eagle at Alberta Birds of Prey Centre on Photojourneys
– First Place, Best Coverage of a Host Destination: Wawa, Ontario is More Than a Goose and a Moose in Roadstories.ca
– Second Place, Best Outdoors, Wildlife, or Environmental Responsible Feature: Visiting Mexico’s Marvelous Monarchs on Photojourneys
– Third Place, Best Adventure, Sport, or Recreation Feature: Wonders of the Kalahari on Photojourneys
Travel Media Association of Canada Awards 2019.
– First Place, People’s Choice Photo Award. At the same time Second and Third Prize for the Best Landscape Photo, Honourable Mention for the Best People Photo, and Honourable Mention for the Best Adventure, Sport, or Recreation Feature (Trekking on the Roof of Africa, published in Photojourneys).
Won the Travel Media Award in the Saskatchewan Tourism Awards of Excellence for our book Saskatchewan’s Best Scenic Drives and other Saskatchewan articles and photos, April, 2019
Won First Place for the Best Outdoor/Adventure Feature at the Travel Media Association of Canada (TMAC) Awards 2018 (Sleeping with Rhinos published in Photojourneys).
Two photos shortlisted in the Outdoor Photographer of the Year Competition (View From Above category), a major international competition in the United Kingdom, Jan, 2019.
Finalist in the Beauty of Nature category, Siena International Photography Awards in Italy, 2019. Competition received 48,000 entries from 156 countries. Also a Finalist in 2017.
Highly Commended Award in the Habitat and Landscapes category of WildlifePhoto.com international nature photography competition, 2018. The image became part of a nature photography exhibit in New York City. Also a Highly Commended Award in the Animal Behavior category, 2017.
Photo Journeys was named among the 100 Best Travel Photography Blogs on the web by FeedSpot, and among the 100 Best Canadian Photography Blogs by FeedSpot. July, 2017
Photo Journeys was named among the 100 Best Travel Photography Blogs on the web by FeedSpot, and among the 100 Best Canadian Photography Blogs by FeedSpot, July, 2017
First Place in the Best Action Photo of the Year at the Travel Media Association of Canada (TMAC) Awards in June, 2017
First Place in the Best Action Photo of the Year at the Travel Media Association of Canada (TMAC) Awards 2016, as well as Outstanding Achievement Award in the same category. See our post on the awards.
The Great Saskatchewan Bucket List (No. 1) and Saskatchewan’s Best Scenic Drives (No. 2) topped the SaskBooks (Saskatchewan Publishers Group) Bestsellers list in 2018.
Won ten Saskatchewan Tourism Awards of Excellence
Six of our books have become Canadian Bestsellers
Sales of our books have totaled well over 100,000 copies
Winner in the Landscapes/Seascapes category in the Northern American Travel Journalists Association Awards
Robin and Arlene were both presented with the Saskatchewan Centennial Medal by the province’s Lieutenant-Governor in recognition of their work.
Email: photojourneys [at] parklandpublishing.com.